1010 -- KAPFER, REINHARD, MARIE-JOSE VAN DE LOO, WERNER PETERMANN & MARGARETE REINHART (Ed.)
Wegmarken. Eine Bibliothek der ethnologischen Imagination
(Trickster Jahrbuch Band 2)
Wuppertal: Edition Trickster im Peter Hammer Verlag 1998
291 pp., DM 58,-; ISBN 3-87294-792-3
Milestones and crossings. A library of anthropological imagination
In this Trickster Yearbook present-day anthropologists have written imaginary forewords/prefaces for classics - by Malinowski, Bateson, Lévi-Strauss, Griaule and others. This reminds of Geertz" Works and lives and is based on the fact that in "classical" times author and description had to be strictly separated, they had to seemingly disappear behind the text. In the course of time the preface became the only space for personal, private remarks, writing in the first person etc. The papers of the book try to elaborate on the classical texts by discussing them in relation with their authors, and by writing fictitious forewords.
Keywords: classics in anthropology, prefaces and authors, forewords and authors, authors, ethnography and authors, writing culture, Benedict, R., Turnbull, C., Bateson, G., Malinowski, B., Frazer, J., Artaud, A., Leiris, M., Griaule, M., Chernoff, J.M., Shostak, M., Camus, A., Foucauld, C. de, Lévi-Strauss, C., Eliade, M., Jensen, A.E., Said, E.W., Devereux, G., Zuckerkandl, V., Martino, E. de, Benvéniste, E., Mauss, M., Barth, H., Latour, B., ridicule, pilgrimage
- STRECKER, IVO: Experiences with Ruth Benedict"s "Patterns of culture"
- CHERNOFF, JOHN MILLER: Colin Turnbulls "The forest people"
- TYLER, STEPHEN A.: Encounter with Bateson
- KEIL, CHARLES: A foreword for G. Bateson"s "Steps to an ecology of mind"
- KOEPPING, KLAUS-PETER: "Tolilibogwo"-Malinowski: Master of myth or Narcissus?
- KRAMER, FRITZ W.: Under the Golden Bough
- DEIMEL, CLAUS: Antonin Artaud: The Tarahumara
- HEINRICHS, HANS-JÜRGEN: Michel Leiris: "Le sacre dans la vie quotidienne"
- MÜNZEL, MARK: Marcel Griaule: "Dieu d"eau"
- BRENT, DAVID: John Miller Chernoff: "African rhythm and African sensibility"
- LYDALL, JEAN: A preface for "Nisa"
- RITTER, HANS: Self and other. On the life of Albert Camus and Charles de Foucauld in Algeria
- PRINS, HARALD E.J.: A handful of ashes. Reflections on "Tristes tropiques"
- IMFELD, AL: Mircea Eliade - between sacred and profane, between then and now
- STRECK, BERNHARD: "The killed godhead" by Ad. E. Jensen
- DWYER, KEVIN: "Les pensées sauvages" - The wild "thoughts"
- BAER, GERHARD: Edward W. Said: "Culture and imperialism".
- ERDHEIM, MARIO: On G. Devereux"s book "From anxiety to method in the behavioral sciences"
- BASSO, ELLEN B.: Victor Zuckerkandl
- MARANHAO, TULLIO: Erneste de Martino and the secret of being
- MEILLASSOUX, CLAUDE: Emile Benvéniste: "Le vocabulaire des institutions indo-européennes"
- MARCUS, GEORGE E.: The present of the "gift". A personal acknowledgment of Marcel Mauss"s "Essai sur le don", in the form of a special foreword
- FÖRSTER, TILL: Marcel Griaule"s "Masques Dogons"
- KLUTE, GEORG: Encounters with Heinrich Barth
- ROTTENBURG, RICHARD: Seduction for the next sin. A commentary on Bruno Latour
- KRAUS, MICHAEL: On the ridicule of (American) Indians and the seriousness of anthropology
- MIDDENDORF, HEINRICH J.: Addressing the pilgrims